Job Posting Date: December 10, 2018
Job Title: Day School Director
Deadline to Apply: February 1, 2019
Start Date: Flexible
Location: Dallas, Texas
Supervisor: Reports to Executive Director
How to Apply: Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blackland Prairie Conservatory & Atelier is dedicated to changing the landscape of learning and innovation in the field of education. Our organization and school advocate for science, nature, and the arts as essential tools in the academic journey. We modernize subject-based curriculum through the (re)vitalization, (re)newal, and (re)imaging of the history and culture of education. We believe in ample outdoor time, connections with the natural world, academic excellence, and the invaluable skill of artistic expression.
BPCA is in its fourth year of operation, and this is our third year of student programming in our day school. We currently have 34 students, ages 2.5 through 8 years old. We have early childhood classrooms and a mixed-grade program. We anticipate adding another 10-15 students for the 2019-2020 school year.
The Day School Director will be responsible for the daily administration and on-site operation of the school as a whole, including maintaining compliance with minimum standards and licensing laws. This role is crucial in ensuring the smooth, day-to-day operation of the school. It will involve balancing business concerns with the best interests of the children and providing leadership and direction to the caregivers responsible for providing safe and healthy care for the children.
Further responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Daily review of illness/injury reports and incident/behavior reports;
- Maintaining and consistently improving the organization of the schools’ files, filing system and other pertinent organizational materials;
- Overseeing the logistics and practices of staff and faculty members at the school;
- Communicating any and all requirements and expectations around professional and staff development hours;
- Supervision of all employees, including but not limited to oversight of employee activities, assignments and responsibilities;
- Conducting both scheduled and random reviews of all classrooms and other school facilities to ensure that such areas and associated practices are in compliance with all legal standards and school requirements;
- Acting as the primary contact for parent questions and concerns regarding school policies, procedures and handbook questions; and
- Remaining flexible in order to address ongoing faculty and administrative needs as the school grows and evolves.
- Bachelors in educational administration or related field (Masters preferred) or a combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of experience in management of programs with experiential education, environmental education, and/or emergent curriculum theories
- 5-10 years of experience managing programs and supervising staff
- Experience working toward independent school accreditation
- Holds or qualifies for THHS/DFPS director licensure for child care centers as described in the TXDFPS Minimum Standards (pp. 30-32)
- Effective communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in the outdoors, especially in inclement weather
- A proven track record of successful school administrative leadership, including:
- Financial literacy and sound fiscal management;
- Fundraising experience and skill;
- Clear communication and consistent application of policies and procedures;
- Experience successfully structuring and staffing an effective administration;
- Familiarity with faculty and staff compensation systems and HR requirements; and
- Familiarity with policies and procedures, technology, and other tools required to create a culture of administrative excellence.
- An appreciation of, and the ability to be a compelling advocate for the value of constructivist learning models. An understanding of a compatibility with blending of different pedagogies and models.
- A servant leader who is unfailingly child-centered in decision making.
- An administrative expert who respects and collaborates with the pedagogical experts within the school.
- A charismatic, cheerful advocate for the school, visible in the life of the school and connected in the broader community.
- An open, warm, accessible, welcoming personal style, open to new ideas and willing to explore new approaches.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically in one email and as separate documents (preferably PDFs) the following materials:
- A cover letter expressing their interest in this position
- A current résumé
- A statement of administrative leadership philosophy
- A list of five professional references with name, phone number, and email address of each (references will not be contacted without the candidate’s permission)
Blackland Prairie Conservatory & Atelier provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blackland Prairie Conservatory & Atelier complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.